Tuesday, March 29, 2016

* IT'S A TEA CUP TUESDAY *

Hi Everyone! I decided to participate in another Tea Cup Tuesday.

I'm linking to Martha's Favorites, Tue Cup Tuesday! It's only been about oh...a couple of years since I joined in the fun! I'm posting a partial repeat of an earlier version, because many bloggers may not have seen this particular one; and I don't think seeing the same tea cups and tea pots can be a bad thing, either!

This photo is of the plates, teapot clock, and "half" tea cup & saucer, that I hung in a random way on a wall in the dining room. (of our previous home) Two of the larger plates were my grandma's. The other plates were single purchases at various consignment stores. The "half" tea cup set is a one-of-a-kind I found at a gift shop in old St. Charles, Mo. I've never seen another one like it. The back of the cup and plate are flat, so it fits neatly against the wall. The teapot clock was purchased at Dillard's quite a few years ago. It's the Royal Albert, Old Country Roses pattern. (These all look like miniatures in the photo, but they are "regular" size...and as always, you can click on each photo and enlarge them 2 times)

A wall of loveliness!


This is a close up of the teapot clock.
 
 
This is a teapot I purchased at Dillard's about the same time as the teapot clock.
The tea cup and saucer were bought at one of the local consignment shops.


This cup and saucer is not a set. The cup belonged to my deceased sister (Jo Ann) when she was a little girl. It's smaller than regular, but it's also not miniature. It's just kind of "child-sized". It has a little chip at the top on the right, which is visible. (I can't imagine giving a young child a CHINA cup!) I don't know exactly how it came into my possesion, but I'm so glad I have it, and I really do cherish it.

This is a darling sugar bowl and creamer set I bought at Home Goods a couple of years ago. It's so cheery and spring-like, and just makes me smile to look at it.
 
~~~
I still have all of these lovely items, plus others that aren't shown here. Most are packed in boxes which haven't been opened since March 2013! I will be going through those boxes this spring/summer, though, and deciding what I MUST keep and what I can give away to family/friends, or take to Goodwill.
 
I've learned so much during these past few years of moving/downsizing...what is important and what isn't. And most "things" are definitely not important. One of the things I learned, at least about myself, is that having a photo or photos of those much loved items, makes it so much easier to say goodbye to them, and send them on to a new home...where someone else will love them!
 
Thanks again to Martha and all the Tea Cup Ladies!
 
 
"Come, let us have some tea and continue to talk about happy things." -- Chaim Potok

17 comments:

  1. The wall treatment was delightful then and now!!! All things are so lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia! It's nice to know you remembered this post, or at least some of the photos! thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. Love that wall treatment. And would happily drink from any of those cups. And savour the brew. And the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sue! I honestly wish we could all get together someday for a tea cup of our favorite drink!

      Delete
  3. I love your tea party at the 'wall!' The memories are there and the wall treatment is awesome too.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Fabby! I love what you said about "the memories are there..." I will definitely pop over and comment on your lovely blog, too!

      Delete
  4. I missed the original post so I'm glad that I had the opportunity to see your neat display of teawares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margie! Thank you! That's what's nice about re-posting. There's bound to be a person or two who didn't see it the first time! :) I will be over to see your blog, too!

      Delete
  5. Hi Becky: I am so happy you have come back to join the party. I love the half cup on your wall. I think your wall looks so cute. Have a wonderful week. Welcome back, Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear Martha! You're always so welcoming, even when I'm not a regular visitor! I hope to do better :)

      Delete
  6. re the 'half' teacup and saucer; my mum used to own a 'half' coffee mug and if she offered someone coffee and they said "just half a cup will do me" they got their coffee in the half mug.
    I love the Old Country Roses design, I once had an entire dinner set, but not Royal Albert, a cheaper copy. My youngest daughter has it now, what's left of it anyway.
    I love your teapot clock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River! I love the story about your mum and the "half a cup" of coffee! Having a great sense of humor is a wonderful thing and I can't imagine going through life without mine :) I know what you mean about a "copy" of an expensive set. I have a large place setting of some Christmas china like that. It's so pretty, but gosh, I only used it once or twice a year, and now, we don't have the room to have people over....But I'm going to save enough for two or four people, and if I'm the only one who uses it, I'll be happy!

      Delete
  7. Those are some lovely cups and such. My mother got my son a real tea service when he was little. I took it and put it away and let him have the ceramic one. LOL. The real one is in a box in a closet. Not real useful there. So glad you have your sister's. That's def a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elizabeth! How wonderful to see your smiling face here! And thank you for your welcoming words on your blog. Someone gave my oldest son a silver baby cup/mug when he was born, and it's always just been in a drawer or something and is SO tarnished! I really should try to have it cleaned, etc. Thank you again for stopping and commenting!

      Delete
  8. Ihave very few mementos like yours. I understand why you cherish them. I like your words of wisdom about letting go of stuff. Sometimes, the memories are enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Myrna. It took me many years to feel this way about "things," but I'm sure it's because as we get older, we realize we just don't "need" much more than necessary items...and Simple Pleasures!

      Delete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.